Peter Brown Family History

Places: - Priest House at West Hoathly

Border
Relevance

The rectory (Priest House)at West Hoathly was occupied from 1524 by  John Brown (died 1546), then by his son Thomas (died 1581), then by his son John Brown (died 1608) then by his son John Brown (born 1594), then by his son John Brown (born 1628, died about 1700). The last John Brown accumulated debts and was forced to sell the house.

The house was originally an open hall, with a living room & upper chamber on the north end & a service end with a buttery, pantry & solar to the south. The roof was probably thatched. However, Thomas Brown had begun to mine iron ore on his land for the foundries working around West Hoathly. He now styled himself “yeoman” & needed a house to match his new status. By the end of the 16th Century The Priest House was probably the finest building in the village & Thomas Browne could call himself “squire”.

His descendants had the title “Lord of the Manor of the Rectory”

History Returns to 'Top of Page' The Building Returns to 'Top of Page'

Sources Returns to 'Top of Page'
  1. From: 'Parishes: West Hoathly', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 7: The rape of Lewes (1940), pp. 164-172. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=56941.
  2. "The Story of a Forest Village - West Hoathly", by Ursula Ridley,
  3. The Priest House: West Hoathly: Teacher’s Notes
  4. Adrian Channing: