Peter Brown Family History

Parish of Horne, Surrey

Border

HORNE , originally a chapelry of Blechingley, was made a separate parish by Act of Parliament in 1705. It is a small scattered village 3½ miles south-west of Godstone station, 4 miles north-east of Horley and six miles north of East Grinstead. It measures about 3 miles from north to south, about 2 miles from east to west, and comprises 4,548 acres of land and 46 of water.

It is on the Wealden Clay, with the exception of a small part in the south, which is on the Hastings Sand. The streams in this parish drain to the Eden Brook and the Medway. There was formerly open heath land here adjoining Copthorne Common in Burstow and Sussex. (fn. 1) It is now inclosed, with the exception of Thorney Park, which is uncultivated and partly wooded. There is still a good deal of woodland in the southern part of Horne, and the whole was probably forest when Horne was included with Blechingley in the great Clare manor of that name.

The names East Park and West Park, at some considerable distance apart, indicate the former character of the parish. Frogwood Heath is partly in this parish, partly in Godstone. Horne Common was inclosed by an Act of 1810 (fn. 2) and an order made on 14 April 1813. There is a small group of houses near the church, but the farms and houses are usually scattered.

In the small outlying part of Horne parish between Burstow and Horley, where Harrowsley is situated, are the remains of Thunderfield Castle.

In 1841 Horne had a population of 649 plus further 59 inhabitants of Harrowsley.

Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Horne, Surrey