Peter Brown Family History

Arthur Underhill 1601 & Jane Allen

Border
General History

Arthur Underhill & Jane Allen were not one of my direct ancestors but they are related to me as later indirect generations of a direct ancestor.

Key Dates:

Arthur Underhill was baptised on 24th May 1601 in East Grinstead, Sussex (Artour son of John Undrell). He was the son of John Underhill who was the son of Thomas Underhill 1530. He firstly married Jane Allen on 26th May 1629 in Lewes (license issued at Lewes shows Arthur of Eastgrinsted, mercer with Jane of same, maiden and additional sureties by Edward Newington of same, yeoman ) . He possibly secondly married Mary Austin on 4th August 1641 in East Grinstead (license issued at Lewes shows Arthur of Eastgrinsted, mercer, & Mary Awstin of Uckfield, widow with additional sureties by Thomas Piggot of Eastgrinsted, chaundler). Arthur & Mary possibly moved to Horne, Surrey where they are recorded as giving money to the poor on 1st May 1659 (six pence each).

Jane Allen's birth details are not known

Mary Austin's birth details are not known

Children Returns to 'Top of Page'

Arthur & Jane had five children (1-5) Arthur & Mary had three children (6-8).

Rachel John Arthur Faulkner Mary Katherine Thomas Susanna
  1. Rachel Underhill was baptised on 14th March 1630 in East Grinstead,Sussex, (mother shown as Joan). She possibly married Robert Comfort on 5th November 1650 in East Grinstead, Sussex. She presumably married secondly a Mr Davenport, but cannot locate marriage. She was mentioned in her brother John Underhill's 'Will' of 1685 as Rachel Davenford (or Davenport) and was mentioned in her nephew John Underhill's 'Will' of 1695 as Aunt Davenport (but also witnessed the 'Will' as Rachel Davenport).
  2. John Underhill was baptised on 11th October 1631 in East Grinstead, Sussex, (mother shown as Joan). John married Anne. It is thought that John owned the Chequer Inn in Forest Row. John left a 'Will' dated 20th June 1685 and was buried on 1st July 1685 in East Grinstead, Sussesx ('of The Chequer'). Anne was mentioned in her husband's 'Will' of 1685. Anne left a 'Will' dated 20th November 1704 (shown as a widow) and she was buried on 10th January 1705 in East Grinstead, Sussex. John & Anne had five children.
    1. John Underhill was baptised on 7th February 1664 in East Grinstead, Sussex. (son of John & Anne). He was mentioned in his father's 'Will' of 1685. John left a 'Will dated 13th May 1695 and was possibly buried on 15th November 1699 in East Grinstead, Sussex ('a tayler').
    2. Mary Underhill was baptised on 23rd January 1666 in East Grinstead, Sussex. (son of John & Anne). She was mentioned in her father's 'Will' of 1685 and in her brother John Underhill's 'Will' of 1695 (shown as Mercy). She married Edmund Driver on 11th April 1699 in Hamsey, Sussex. ( License also issued at Lewes on 11th April and both are shown as of East Grinstead). Mary & Edmund had at least three children (Mary, Edmund, Benjamin). Mary & Edmund and the daughter Mary were mentioned in her mother's 'Will' of 1704 (there were also other un-named grandchildren). Benjamin Driver was mention in a lease agreement as only son & heir of Mary - ( see Archives item 3) and in his cousin Anne Underhill's 'Will' of 1764.
    3. Jane Underhill was baptised on 28th September 1668 in East Grinstead, Sussex. (son of John & Anne). She was mentioned in her father's 'Will' of 1685. She married John Michelbourne on 11th November 1690 (license issued at Lewes on 10th November). She was mentioned in her brother John Underhill's 'Will' of 1695 as was her son Thomas Michelbourne. Jane (& husband John) were mentioned in her mother's 'Will' of 1704.
    4. Thomas Underhill was baptised on 14th September 1671 in East Grinstead, Sussex (son of John & Anne). He was mentioned in his father's 'Will' of 1685.
    5. Benjamin Underhill was baptised on 12th July 1674 in East Grinstead, Sussex. (son of John & Anne). He was mentioned in his father's 'Will' of 1685 (as of Ashurstwood), in his brother John Underhill's 'Will' of 1695 and in his mother's 'Will' of 1704. Benjamin married Elizabeth Groombridge on 13th October 1702 in Barcombe, Sussex (License issued at Lewes on 14th September showing both from East Grinstead). Benjamin was buried on 8th November 1727 in East Grinstead, Sussex ('a mercer'). Elizabeth was mentioned in her son John Underhill's 'Will' of 1736 as executor. Benjamin & Elizabeth had six children.
      1. Anne Underhill was baptised on 11th February 1704 in East Grinstead, Sussex. She was mentioned in her brother John Underhill's 'Will' of 1736. Anne became the owner of 'The Chequer' as she is mentioned in two archive documents relating to it and it is mentioned in her 'Will'. Anne was the last remaining Underhill in East Grinstead (but others may have returned there later). Anne left a 'Will' dated 14th September 1764.
      2. Elizabeth Underhill was baptised on 8th May 1706 in East Grinstead, Sussex.
      3. John Underhill was baptised on 14th June 1707 in East Grinstead, Sussex. John possibly married Elizabeth. Elizabeth was possibly buried on 23rd March 1729 in East Grinstead, Sussex ('wife of John'). John left a 'Will' dated 22nd January 1736 and was buried on 28th January 1736 in East Grinstead, Sussex with no surviving children.
      4. Mary Underhill was baptised on 10th March 1710 in East Grinstead, Sussex and she was buried there on 6th April 1710 ('dau of Benjamin').
      5. Benjamin Underhill was baptised on 10th March 1710 in East Grinstead, Sussex and he was buried there on 6th June 1710 ('son of Benjamin')
      6. George Underhill was baptised on 9th March 1716 in East Grinstead, Sussex. He was mentioned in his brother John Underhill's 'Will' of 1736. George was maybe possibly buried on 21st January 1742 in East Grinstead, Sussex.
  3. Arthur Underhill was baptised on 29th December 1633 in East Grinstead, Sussex, (mother shown as Joane).
  4. Faulkner Underhill was baptised on 20th January 1636 in East Grinstead, Sussex.
  5. Mary Underhill was baptised on 23rd June 1639 in East Grinstead, Sussex.
  6. Katherine Underhill was baptised on 5th April 1642 in East Grinstead, Sussex.
  7. Thomas Underhill was baptised on 24th September 1643 in East Grinstead, Sussex.
  8. Susanna Underhill was baptised on 2nd February 1645 in East Grinstead, Sussex.

Personal History Returns to 'Top of Page'

John Underhill & The Chequer Inn

It is thought that John Underhill owned the Chequer Inn in Forest Row. 'The Chequer' was a 15th century Posting Inn originating from about 1452 . It maybe dates from much earlier and is maybe possibly mentioned in the Doomsday Book, but this unconfirmed. A December 1707 lease mentions 'The Chequer' late in the occupation of John Underhill.

Verification & Concerns Returns to 'Top of Page'

  1. There are a number of name variations in the parish records (Underhill, Underill,Undrill, Undririll, Undirill, Undrell, Vndrell, Hunderhill)
Documents Returns to 'Top of Page'

Wills:

  1. John Underhill (Family ref 2) left a 'Will' that was dated 20th June 1685 and was proved in 1685 (Ref Lewes A37.P47). The link is to a copy of the 'Will'. The 'Will' mentions his wife Anne (executor) ; his sons John, Thomas (second son- under 21), Benjamin (youngest son- under 21); his daughters Mary, Jane (both under 21); his sister Rachel Davenford. Overseers were John Wicking & Thomas Matthew (both of East Grinstead). Witnesses were John Monkes, Richard Knight, John Wicking. Properties mentioned were houses & lands in Ashurstwood, Forest Row & Ashdown Forest.
  2. Anne Underhill (Family ref 2) left a 'Will' that was dated 20th November 1704 and was proved in 1705 (Ref Lewes A45.P329). The link is to a copy of the 'Will'. The 'Will' mentions her son Benjamin, her daughters Mary, wife of Edmund Driver & Jane, wife of John Mithelbourne; her grandchildren Mary Driver (and others un-named). Witnesses were Edmund Driver, Eliazbeth Creasey, John Creasy.
  3. John Underhill (Family ref 2 A) left a 'Will' that was dated 13th May 1695 and was proved in 1699 (Ref Lewes A43.P192). The link is to an Abstract & a copy of the 'Will'. The 'Will' mentions his mother unnamed; his brother Benjamin; his sisters Jane Mitchelborn (& her son Thomas Mitchelborn- under 21), Mercy Underhill; Others were Thomas & James Blatt of East Grinstead, Aunt Davenport . Witnesses were Samuel Spunf?, Rachel Davenport, Mary Allen.
  4. Anne Underhill (Family ref 2 E i) left a 'Will' that was dated 14th September 1764 and was proved on 11thJanuary 1766 (Ref PCC Prob 11/915/352). The link is to a copy of the 'Will'. The 'Will' mentions her cousins Benjamin Driver , William Michelbourne (executor) ; her kinsmen William Tooth (executor), Edward Tooh (deceased ) and his wife Susan and daughter Susan, Robert Tooth, John Tooth; Elizabeth Michelbourne, Martha Michelbourne . Others were Mary Tapsfield, Sarah Dane; Mary & Sandy Outridge, John Gower, Robert Gower, Elizabeth Thuau!, Anne & John Parast. Mentioned as occupying properties were William Brooks, Joseph Browne , Thomas Browne. Witnesses were John Cranston, Francis Bursty, John Payne. Properties mentioned were The Chequer.
  5. John Underhill (Family ref 2 E iii) left a 'Will' that was dated 22nd January 1736 and was proved in 1736 (Ref Lewes A55.P107). The link is to a copy of the 'Will'. The 'Will' mentions his mother Ellizabeth Underhill (executor), his sister Anne Underhill; his brother George; Others were Susan Jenner (widow of William Jenner). John Jenner (shoemaker), Susan Jenner. Witnesses were Edward Bennett, Fran Green, Rich Pabrick . Properties were House & lands called 'the Ship' in Eastgrinstead, House & lands in Rotherfield.

Archives:

  1. John Underhill: (Family ref 2) : Copy of Lease for a year  SAS-B/405  11 Jan 1686: These documents are held at East Sussex Record Office :
    Contents:  By Thomas Offley of the Middle Temple, esq., to Robert Offley of London, gent., of All that messuage, inn or tenement with barn, stables, gardens &c. and several pieces of land &c. containing 20 acres and a hop garden containing 4 ac. in East Grinsted, then or late in the occupation of John Underhill. And also of 2 messuages or tenements in Fryday Street, London, and messuages in or near Addle Street, London And a messuage in Helmett Court near London Wall And a moiety of 2 messuages in Crooked Lane, London
  2. John Underhill: (Family ref 2) : Lease for a year  SAS-B/436  8 Dec 1707: These documents are held at East Sussex Record Office Contents: 
    By Mary Thomas, widow, relict and sole executrix of the Will of Alexander Thomas late of Lamberhurst, Kent, esq., Thomas Bathurst of Finchcocks in Goudhurst, Kent, gent., Thomas Lake of
    the Middle Temple, esq., and Richard Alexander Thomas of Lamberhurst, son and heir of the said Alexander Thomas, to Thomas Medley of Conisboroughs in Barcombe, esq., of Two messuages one being called the Chequer Inn, reputed two burgages, together with barns, stables, gardens &c. And also several pieces of land, meadow &c. containing 20 acres And a piece of land formerly a hop garden containing 4 acres All in Eastgrinsted and then late in the occupation of John Underhill and afterwards of William Parker, and parcel of the estate of the said Alexander Thomas and purchased by him of Thomas Offley of the Middle Temple, esq
    Signatures of lessors and seals Witnesses:- Will. Amherst, Jo: Tolson, Edw. Price
  3. Mary Underhill (Driver): (Family ref 2 B): Lease for a year  SAS-B/446  6 May 1737: These documents are held at East Sussex Record Office:
    Contents:  By Benjamin Driver of St. Saviour's, Southwark, linendraper, only son and heir of Mary late the wife of Edmund Driver, formerly Mary Underhill and since decd., to Edward Bennett of East Grinsted, yeoman, of a messuage, tenement or burgage, with stable, buildings, portlands, yard &c. in East Grinsted. Signature, Benjamin Driver, and seal. Witnesses:- Ben. Faulconer, Richard Chapman (mk)
  4. Benjamin Underhill: (Family ref 2 E & ref 2 B): Edenbridge Mill  U908/T171  1685-1729: These documents are held at Kent History and Library Centre: 23 docs:
    Contents:  Messuage and mill house with the corn water mills and three pieces of land called Werehopps alias Warehoop containing 6a. in Edenbridge Includes, 1685, Andrew Firminger of Edenbridge, miller, to William Nicholas alias Webb of Hadlow, miller, of a three quarter part of the property; 1685, mortgage by William Nicholas alias Webb to Thomas Webb alias Nicholas of Chiddingstone, miller of same; 1687, Thomas Patching of Newdigate, co. Surrey, yeoman to Thomas Nicholas alias Webb of a quarter part of the property; copy of the will, 1698, of William Webb alias Nickalls of Hadlow leaving Edenbridge Mill to his eldest son, Thomas Webb, after the death of Mary, wife of William Webb: copy made 1715 of the will, 1709, of Mary Webb alias Nickalls of Hadlow, widow; 1714, mortgage, Thomas Nicholls alias Webb of Edenbridge, miller, to Benjamin Faulconer of East Grinstead, co. Sussex, gent.; 1715, further mortgage from same to same; 1717, assignment to Benjamin Underhill of East Grinstead, mercer, for the benefit of Mary, wife of Edmund Driver of East Grinstead, co. Sussex, sadler; 1718, assignment to Jane and Sarah Round of Westerham, spinsters; 1719, assignment to Richard Cosham of Ashurst, yeoman; 1719, further mortgage, Thomas Webb to Richard Cosham; 1721, further mortgage, same to same; 1728, mortgage by Thomas Nicholas [sic] alias Webb of Ashurst, miller, [son of Thomas Webb of Edenbridge] to William Wilds of Edenbridge, butcher; 1729, conveyance by Thomas Nicholas alias Webb with his mother and younger brother and sisters to John Crundwell of Ashurst, yeoman
  5. Ann Underhill: (Family ref 2 E i): Draft licence  SAS/G20/406  17 Mar 1749: These documents are held at East Sussex Record Office
    Contents: Ann Underhill, spinster, to let her messuage called the Chequer Inn in East Grinstead to William Brooks for 21 years
  6. Ann Underhill: (Family ref 2 E i): Copy Admission  WHL/235  31 October 1771: These documents are held at East Sussex Record Office -
    Contents: Manor of Maresfield William Michaelbourne of Uckfield, gent., on the death of Ann Underhill, his cousin, according to her Will dated 14 Sept. 1764 1 cottage, 1 orchard, 1 garden and 3 pieces of land (6a.) formerly part of lands called Katharine Plaws, with appurtenances, near Ashdown Forest, East Grinstead, formerly Turner's. Yearly rent 8d.; 1 messuage formerly called the Antelope and now the Chequer, barn and lands (13a.) with appurtenances at Forest Row. Yearly rent 1s.8d. and 1 hen
    Lord of the Manor: William Hall, Viscount Gage Steward: James Michell esq  Deputy Steward: William Attree, gent
  7. John Underhill: (Family ref 2 A): Lease for a year  SAS-B/419  1 Oct 1694: These documents are held at East Sussex Record Office
    Contents: By Richard Holmes of Rygate, Surrey, basket-maker, to John Underhill of Eastgrinsted, taylor, with James Blatt of Eastgrinsted, baker, and Mary his wife and Thomas Blatt of Newington Butts, Surrey, oatmealman, and Joane his wife as parties of the 2nd. part, of a messuage, tenement or burgage with the stable, outhouses, portlands &c. in Eastgrinsted
    Marks or signatures of lessors and seals Witnesses:- John Traver (?), Nath. Moore, John Bradshaw
  8. John Underhill: (Family ref 2 A) Assignment  SAS-B/421  4 Oct 1694: These documents are held at East Sussex Record Office
    Contents: By George Wood of Horsham, weaver, and James Blatt of Eastgrinsted, baker, to Rachell Davenport of Eastgrinsted, widow, in trust for John Underhill of Eastgrinsted, taylor, - for £120 paid by John Undehill - of a Mortgage of 18 June 2 Jas.II by the said James Blatt to the said George Wood of All those messuages and tenements in Eastgrinsted with all buildings &c. and all the land belonging in the occupation of the said James Blatt in the one part of the said messuages and in the occupation of John Bartholomew junr., cordwinder, in another part thereof, and also in the occupation of John Knight, glazier, in some part thereof To hold the same to attend the inheritance of the premises which the said John Underhill had purchased. Signature, George Wood and mark of James Blatt. Witnesses:- John Bradshaw, James Penfold, Jo: Payne, Nath. Moore
  9. John Underhill: A series of 27 Warrants dated at East Grinstead addressed in the King's name to the Sheriff of Sussex (except the first two) ordering the arrest or distraint &c. of offenders, with endorsement signed by Henry Goring, Sheriff, as follows  Add Mss 37103  20 March 1681/2 Similar Warrant  Add Mss 37103/5  [n.d.] These documents are held at West Sussex Record Office:
    Contents:  To cause John Underhill of Lingfield, co. Surrey, yeo., and John Underhill of the same, yeo., to come before the Justices at the next Sessions to answer concerning certain trespasses, unlawful assemblies and assaults whereof they stand indicted. Endorsed: The said John Underhill has nothing in my bailiwick by which he may be attached and is not found
Sources Returns to 'Top of Page'
  1. Sussex Record Society -  East Grinstead Parish Registers 1558-1661:
  2. Surrey parish register - Crowhurst, Lingfield, Horne
  3. Sussex parish register - East Grinstead, Hartfield, Worth, Withyham
  4. Kent parish Register - Cowden
  5. Sussex Marriage Index CD
  6. Surrey Marriage index CD
  7. Surrey Wills Abstracts
  8. Sussex Record Society – Marriage Licenses at Lewes 1586-1642,1670-1732, 1772-1837 (Volumes 1, 6, 25,26)
  9. Lewes Will Microfilm
  10. Sussex Family History Group - Baptism & Burial records
  11. IGI (International Genealogical Index: Latter-day Saints) - batches of parish records: see LINKS-Research Web sites